Ice Cream Sandwich Offers Improved Gmail & Calendar User Experience .Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Comes With New Action Bar & More Intuitive Swipe, Pinch & Stretch Functionality in Gmail & Calendar .
Email and personal-information management are major smartphone features, so Google has introduced major improvements in how users can manipulate information and displays in Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
At the recently-concluded Galaxy Nexus announcement in Hong Kong, Google’s user-experience director for Android Matias Duarte explained the interface improvements that come with Google’s newest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich release. Among these are a new contextual action bar, swiping and pinching actions, which should now work more intuitively especially in the Gmail and Calendar apps.
Duarte explains how the new Action Bar should change content depending on context. As such, it will act much like a contextual menu that changes depending on the relevant actions required in any given application or screen. This probably takes advantage of the new Galaxy Nexus’ taller screen form factor, and the fact that Android 4.0 ICS designed from ground-up with a 1280 x 780 pixel resolution in mind
Key features of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
1) Android 4.0 has an inline spellchecker and makes cut/copy/paste easier to use
2) "Face unlock" -- Yes, your phone knows your face. It recognizes your face in order to unlock the phone
3) This phone's secure log in is better than swiping your finger -- it scans your face
4)The Android browser is getting some new feature....tabbed browsing is first. You can have up to 16 tabs
5) You can easily switch between mobile view and desktop view with one tap
6) You can save full web pages for offline viewing
7) Gmail is getting an update with Android. New action bar that lets you access common commands quickly, two-line email previews
8) Google+ widget is part of Ice Cream Sandwich
9)Android apps are updated. Google+, Music, Maps
10)Detailed updates on you data usage
11)The camera enables instant sharing. You just tap a photo and share through all apps that hook to Androids open sharing APIs
12) Quick response is an easy response for turning down your friends' calls that have bad timing
13) Android Beam - a new approach to sharing (directly transfer information)
Galaxy Nexus will ship worldwide in November